Everything you need to know about shopping for these all-rounded staples.
Six jeans boo boos
These are the most common mistakes women make when wearing jeans.
- THE GOOF : MUFFIN TOP The fix : Don’t wear jeans with waistbands that cut into your sides causing a ‘spillover’. Either you’re wearing it too low for your body shape or it is a tad too tight.
- THE GOOF : BACK CLEAVAGE The fix : Your jeans should fit properly and that means no unsightly back cleavage peeking out. If you find that your jeans slide down too much at the back when you bend over , the cut does not suit you.
- THE GOOF : ODD WASHES The fix : The wash of your jeans should look pleasing overall. Odd washes that combine two or more shades should be avoided. The creases should also follow the same rule. Too much of it just looks tacky.
- THE GOOF : OVER-EMBELLISHMENT The fix : A few studs here and there are fine. It’s when embellishments run from the top, down the length of the leg that is too much. Tassels, all-over sequins and too much lace should be avoided at all costs.
- THE GOOF : UNFLATTERING CUTS The fix : Pick the styles that suit your body shape. There’s nothing worse than wearing jeans that doesn’t flatter your figure.
- THE GOOF : WRONG LENGTH The fix : Always make sure that the length is perfect for your. If you’re wearing heels, they should end an inch above the floor but if you’re wearing flats, make sure they don’t sweep the floor. If your jeans are too long, have them tailored to your desired length instead of folding up the legs.
The final say on buying jeans….
Before you go jeans shopping
OMG girls! Consider your body shape. Identifyyour body shape and areas that you wish to conceal with the right cut. For example, big bums can be hidden with big pockets.
While you are at the store
Please please please select an appropriate style. Apple shapes should go for straight cuts to balance out your frame while pear shapes should opt for boot cut. Petite frames on the other hand looks great with skinny jeans to lengthen the legs.
Decide on a color wash. Dark washes usually complement any body shape. Lighter washes are best left to thin body shapes.
Once you’re in the fitting room
Look at yourself in the mirror from all angles. Pay attention to how the jeans fits you in and at the back. It should be a snug fit all around.
Purchase a pair that is slightly tighter. This is because jeans tend to expand just a little (about 1-2cm) with frequent washes. Be careful not to buy a pair that is too tight to avoid looking like a muffin top.
Give it a trial run. I always try to sit, bend over, squat and walk whenever I try a new pair. This is to ensure the jeans allow s you to do all that without unnecessary peeking or excessive tugging.
Comfort above all else. I know women hardly do this. Besides looking good, the important rule is to feel comfortable. There’s no point in buying a pair that makes you fidget all day.
If you are an online shopper, you might wanna know this.