A growing number of companies around the world are taking ‘green’ steps to preserve Planet Earth. These are just some of them and what they are doing.
- Came up with an environmental mission statement in 1992.
- Partnered a non-profit organization in 1998 to promote sustainability in coffee-producing countries.
- Since 2000, Starbucks has been selling certified organic coffee.
- All HP products are completely recyclable.
- Has e-waste recycling plants to reduce computer debris into small pieces. This helps in the reclamation of steel, plastic, mercury and precious metals.
- Audits its top suppliers for eco-friendliness (Source: CNNMoney.com)
The Coca-Cola Co.
- Invested more than US$60 million to build the largest plastic bottle-to-bottle recycling plant in the world.
- Increased the number of hybrid passenger cars and diesel-electric hybrid delivery trucks for sales and delivery.
- Signed the United Nation Global Compact’s Caring for Climate: The Business Leadership Platform as a seal of commitment to reduce emissions from its operations.
- Through initiatives and sponsorship, it preserve and restore oceans, parks and outdoor spaces.
- Whenever possible, labels are printed with soy ink.
- Packaging made from from recyclable materials.
- Has pledged to reduce energy usage in its British outlets by 50% by 2010.
- Use of high-technology recycling systems, bio-diesel powered delivery trucks and wind-powered stores.
- A website devoted to ‘greener living’.
- Force Vitale Alpine Ecology Cream protects the skin from environmental hazards like stress and pollution. It contains 97% natural ingredients and has been awarded the Biocosc sea, which imposes strict standards on organic ingredients and production methods that are environment-friendly.
- Develop and market electric vehicles powered by motors, hybrid vehicles powered by an engine and a motor, and fuel-cell hybrid vehicles (FCHV) powered by fuel cells that generate electricity from a chemical reaction between hydrogen and the oxygen in the air.
- Reduce carbon dioxide emissions in its production operations.
- Promote the development of clean-energy vehicles and technology to achieve optimum fuel efficiency.
- Develop easy-to-recycle materials.
- Recycle and reuse materials from every stage of a vehicle’s life-cycle.
- Collect paper and used plastic bottles for recycling.
- Gives members only two towels per work-out. Additional towels are charged and that funds collected are donated to carbon-offset schemes.
- SmartKleen range – Primo Cleaner, Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner, Laundry Detergent, Floor Cleaner and Concentrated Dish Cleaner is 100% bio-degradable and safe for environment.
- Elken Spirulina is certified organic by the Chinese Organic Agribusiness Association in Taiwan. It is grown without harming the environment from its farming to waste management techniques.
- Produces environment-friendly apparel, including t-shirts made from organically-grown thread, and water based inks for printing.
- Produces eco-supreme suede, a 100% recycled polyester material made from recycled plastic bottles.
So, come! Do your part for a greener planet!